These Sharpham Savoury, Squash, Sage and Cheesy Rolls are the perfect addition to any picnic, BBQ or late summer evening meal. Vegetarian, tasty and nutritious they tick all the boxes. They can easily be frozen and brought out to entertain guest or to be packed on those last minute camping of picnic adventures. A lovely combination of sweet and then savoury from the cheese and herbs, they go incredibly well with a spoonful of Sharpham red onion marmalade.
- Olive oil
- 2 pinch sea salt flakes and ground black pepper
- 1 kg Butternut squash
- 1 Whole red onion
- 4 Large garlic cloves
- 1/2 A bunch fresh sage leaves
- 200 g Vacuum packed chestnuts
- 30 g Sharpham Savour cheese
- 50 g Sharpham Rustic Chive & Garlic cheese
- 500 g Puff pastry (ready rolled)
- 1 Large free range egg
- Sharpham Red Onion Rosemary & Thyme Marmalade
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 6 or 200 degrees
- Put the chunks of butternut squash on a roasting dish and cover with oil and season with sea salt and pepper. If you want to add some spice, you can add a sprinkling of chilli flakes here. Roast for 35-40 mins until soft and golden.
- Fry the diced onion in a little oil until soft and translucent, then add the crushed garlic. Chop the sage leaves and add to the mixture along with the roughly chopped chestnuts. Lightly fry for 3 minutes and transfer to a box to cool
- Once the butternut squash is cooked, carefully remove the skin. Roughly mash in a separate bowl, adding the mixture of Sharpham Rustic Chive & garlic and Savour cheeses to the bowl. Stir well.
- Combine the butternut squash with the chestnut and herb mixture and mix well.
- Carefully lay the puff pasty sheet out onto a floured surface and cut in half length ways.
- Carefully place the mixture in sausage shape along the long edge leaving half an inch gap. Brush this gap with the beaten egg mixture, and fold over the puff pastry to meet the edge. Press with a fork to seal the edges.
- Cut into small pieces and place on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Brush egg over the top and pierce with a fork on the top.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Can be eaten straight away or left too cool and packed away for an easy and tasty picnic treat.